We want to be a community of Christians who give generously of our time, abilities and money.
As a church we encourage each other to give:
- generously – the Bible gives 10% of our income as a benchmark figure to seriously consider (although this shouldn’t stop us giving more than that!).
- to the church – we believe the Bible teaches that this 10% should go to specifically Christian causes and that giving to secular charities should be on top of this. We also believe the New Testament places a high priority on the local church and that therefore the majority, if not all, of this tithe should go to the local church, with the local church then supporting other causes. At St Mungo’s we give 15-20% of our church income away to support the worldwide church in mission and caring for the poor, in addition to our contribution to the Scottish Episcopal Church.
- regularly – it is biblical and makes sense to give weekly or monthly. Using a Standing Order makes this very easy.
- joyfully – we want to give out of gratitude to God and because we enjoy doing so, not because we feel we must.
- wisely – which involves giving tax efficiently. If we are tax payers, completing a gift aid declaration enables the church to reclaim the tax paid on the money we give, which increases the value of our giving by 25%.
But just as you excel in everything – in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us – see that you also excel in this grace of giving.
2 Corinthians 8 v 7
Useful to know
Virtually all St Mungo’s income comes from our congregation. We receive no central funding.
If you count St Mungo’s as your church, please consider prayerfully and carefully how much you will give this year. Your contribution really counts.
Get in touch
Contact, Katherine Burnett, Finance Director email@example.com